Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Sometimes, I just don't understand student organizations.

Black Student Union decided to celebrate today, the 50th anniversary of the Brown vs. Topeka Board of Education, a milestone in STOPPING segregation, by SEGREGATING CAMPUS. They hung signs that said "Whites only" and "Coloreds only" on Benches, elevators, and doors. What the hell. It pisses me off about that because I belong to the first generation who hasn't really had to deal with all of this crap. I don't judge people by the color of their skin, like some other people in previous generations. So why go back to a time like that, especially on the anniversary of stopping it in schools? It's stupid. I don't see the point they were trying to make. They had signs even in the music building of all places. Thank God most of the signs were ripped down. They didn't even really give us a sign that this was going to happen. Sure they hung signs that said "Be Engaged" but what did that mean? No one knew. Then all of a sudden I wake up this morning to find signs that say "Whites only" on benches? It seems that the people who are trying to facilitate equality on the basis of race are rewinding to create awareness when awareness isn't really needed since many people don't think that way anymore. And it is sad, in my opinion. I don't look at a person of a different race and say "oh they are Asian" "oh they are Black". I say "Oh that's Amanda." "Oh that's Juan." "Oh, that's Taneka." So, I don't think BSU's thing today worked out like they wanted to, because many of my friends have the same feelings that I do.

No comments: