Tuesday, February 10, 2004

OK Now for a real update

Seriously, opera is wearing me out. I swear, I'm never doing another Millikin production ever again, because it takes up so much of my time and I can't get what I need to get done, done. Half the people in Tudor are music ed, so they are as worn out and pissy as I am. Jacob is probably the most. But, thankfully, we are in good spirits with the whole thing so far. It's actually more fun waiting than performing at this point. I think I would enjoy it more if the chorus actually did something besides just stand there. But the production is going for a sense of historical accuracy and alas I feel for the poor opera choruses in Purcell's day.

Speaking of Purcell, I sang "I Love And I Must" in masterclass today and Carberg said I improved so much. Well thank you Terry for helping me. I swear Terry has helped me SO MUCH in just a semester. I'm going to miss having him as a voice teacher next year when I student teach. I don't know if I could ever be a voice teacher though, at least on the individual level, since there are so many things that are presented to you and so many applications on fixing the problem; it requires the teacher to think at the moment and make quick decisions and adapt quickly. Those of you who know me know how hard of a time I have making decisions, let alone QUICK ones.

So yeah, the ed department is screwing me over again. They have changed the template of the professional portfolios we are supposed to be working on for our degree, so now I have to transfer stuff to the new template. What is REALLY going to suck is that I have major work to put on it before it is due March 1st. I also have to apply to take the content area exam, and apply for student teaching, and all of this stuff. Why does time go by so fast these days? Can't it just slow down a little so I can get some more done? I guess i have to get less sleep at night... with an 8:00 it's very tough not to go to bed early. I can only imagine what it is going to be like when I have to be at school at 7:00 or earlier. If I end up teaching in Bloomington I may have to ask Aunt Barb to put up with me for a few nights a week, and if I end up in Chicago maybe ask Molly. I would prefer not teaching in Decatur. If I have to I have to.

Well I have opera in 15 minutes so I'm going to stop writing.

No comments: