Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Two down, One to go

So here are my teaching experiences for the last two days.

MONDAY
Second time practicum went to Maroa-Forsyth. And it was interesting. The four of us (Cory, Molly, Wendy, and myself; Jarvs and Forbes didn't get there until a bit later) got there before the actual choir period, we got there for one of his other sessions where people not in the actual choir period work on choir music... don't ask, it's really stupid in my opinion, I figure if you have 105 people in a choir and 30 or so can't be in the choir because of class time conflicts, create a second choir. So we did that until that period got over and the choir came in. And we taught. It was Cory, Wendy, then Molly. And I tried helping the tenors... the one next to me kept asking "why is she doing that warm up?" and other stuff... and then one of them said they couldn't read bass clef. I don't care if you are a tenor or a bass or a soprano but everyone in music should be able to read bass clef. I teach on Friday when we go again. But now I got more of a sense of me knowing what I have to deal with and how to get these kids engaged... because they definately were not.

TUESDAY
I had my clock set for me to wake up at 6:15 this morning. Went to bed around midnight, thought ok I should be fine. Not the case. I slept thru my alarm and thank God my internal clock woke me up around 7:05... problem was I had to be at Moweaqua by 7:45. So I didn't even shower I just quick got dressed. I got there around 7:50. I went as fast as I could without going so fast the cops would pull me over. But I got there. And for the next 3 hours I proceeded to observe and interact with 5th, 4th, 2nd, and 1st graders. So that was interesting, yet fun. I'll be doing that a few more times. Moment of the day: the kid sitting next to me in the circle said "My brother is 13 and he's as tall as you!" Yeah. Fun. He then proceeded to tell me his cousin was 13 and was shorter than him... anyways, the teacher told me a bit about the high school choir and get this... they have all girls except for ONE GUY. One guy in the choir. Whoo. I guess 2nd semester they are getting one more... She also wants me to accompany. So my piano skills will be worked to the bone. I better start practicing again.

I don't know, I work really well with elementary children. Because I sure interacted with them today. It was fun. But at this point I still want to conduct high school or something. Conducting is my favorite part. You can't do that with elementary children. I also love complex high school music. But I still don't know yet. I've said always, student teaching will decide what grade I teach. That decision is inching ever closer...

No comments: